Simple crafts like this are great story starters to encourage children’s creative writing skills. They provide a very useful springboard to help children launch themselves into a story. For instance, “Here is the story of the chicken who laid the chocolate egg…”
Enjoy making this TP Roll spring chicken, a story starter craft that is sure to spark some creative story writing in your home this holiday!
- toilet paper rolls or paper towel tubes
- cereal box cardboard
- googly eye
- yellow paint for the body and wings
- red and orange paint for the beak, comb and wattle (you can color the cereal box pieces with markers if you don’t have red or orange paint or if you want to avoid drying time)
- glue gun
- Cut the triangular wing and tail pieces, heart shape wattle, triangular beak and curly comb out of cereal box cardboard.
- Paint or color the toilet paper tube body and wings yellow, the beak orange and the comb and wattle red.
- Glue the wing and tail pieces to the body as shown.
- Glue the comb, beak and wattle into place.
- Finally, glue on a google eye and your chick is ready for some Easter action.
Happy making, playing and storytelling!