My kids and I wanted to try our hands at spool knitting, but didn’t have any wooden spools sitting around the house. So we opted for a simpler version: one using a toilet paper roll! Here’s how your family can do it too.
- 1 toilet paper roll
- six Popsicle sticks
- a few rubber bands
- ball of yarn (different colors are always fun!)
- Glue six craft (Popsicle) sticks around the tube so that their ends stick out beyond one end. (This can also be these done with three or four sticks.)
- Wrap a couple of rubber bands around the tube to stabilize the sticks.
- After the glue dries, thread the yarn through the tube from top to bottom, so the loose end is sticking out the bottom of the tube.
- Loop the yarn around each stick, so that the yarn crosses behind the sticks.
- When all of the sticks have a loop of yarn, wrap the yarn around all the sticks, in one loop, and begin lifting the bottom loops over the new loop.
- As you continue wrapping around all the sticks and lifting loops over the top, a tube of knitting should descend through the tube and out the bottom.
Then you can knit to your heart’s desire! Some ideas include: bracelets, a belt, a flower, a hot pad, place mats, a rug, etc. What will you make?