Make this musical duo and have twice the fun. First make it, then shake it!
- small brown bags (lunch bags)
- empty plastic water bottles (small)
- corn kernels (or dried beans or small pebbles)
- rubber bands
- markers and/or crayons
- googly eyes
- optional: buttons, felt scraps, fabric scraps, construction paper
- Put some corn kernels in the empty plastic bottles and screw caps on tight.
- Place each bottle inside a brown bag with the cap facing toward the opening. Push the bottle inside until it reaches the bottom of the bag. Cinch bag closed around the middle (cap area) and secure with a rubber band.
- Decide which character you are going to make. If it’s a scarecrow, turn the shaker so the cinched opening of the bag is facing down. You can see at this point that your scarecrow has a face and a neck! If it’s a turkey, flip it so the opening of the bag is at the top. Cut some feather shapes out of the bag above the rubber band and decorate.
- Cover the rubber band by tying a ribbon around the neck of the scarecrow or under the feathers of the turkey.
Play and shake! For a winter twist, try making a snowman!