Hey, Super You! Make a no-sew Super Why costume and transform into your favorite PBS KIDS superhero for Halloween.
- 1 yard (or less) of blue felt
- yellow felt
- green felt
- hot glue and glue sticks
- packing tape
- printable Super Why! logo (optional)
- Cut 1/2 yard of blue felt (more or less depending on the size of your little Super Why) and set the rest aside. Cut a strip from the edge of the fabric lengthwise. You will use this strip as the cape tie.
- Next, cut two 1 1/2- to 2-inch slits in the top of the fabric widthwise, your child’s neck width apart. You will feed the strip you just cut through these slits to form the cape.
- Trim the strip of blue felt you cut to about 24 inches (more or less depending on the size of your little Super Why), then glue Velcro to each end.
- Thread the strip of felt through the slits you created and loop together to connect at the Velcro. Bam! You’ve just made a cape!
- Next, make the Super Why mask. Trace around a pair of glasses or sunglasses (face down) with a marker onto some paper. Don’t worry if it isn’t perfect. Draw eye holes.
- Cut out around your traced glasses and pin this sketch onto some green felt. Cut out around the lines of your drawing and cut out the eye holes to form this portion of the mask.
- Next cut out two strips of green felt long enough to connect at the back of your child’s head. Glue one strip on each side of the mask, then glue Velcro to the ends.
- Next you will make the blue Super Why briefs! If this part seems too complicated, your child can just wear a blue pair of shorts or bloomers. Cut out two large squares of blue fabric approximately 24 inches square. Double the fabric by laying one square on top of the other. Cut a curve in a corner of the fabric squares, then use that cut-out corner to form another curve on the other side. Separate the squares and connect at the bottom narrow point (meaning, the straight edge between the two curved corners) to form the bottom of the briefs. Connect this part by gluing it together into a seam.
- Glue two pieces of Velcro on the sides of each hip, a total of four strips. Glue two on the “front” (just pick a side) and two on the back flaps. I had my little Super Why try on the shorts while I determined where the felt strips needed to be placed. The wrap-around fold will go in the back and you won’t see it because it will be hidden by the cape.
- To make the belt, cut a strip of yellow felt. Measure to size and glue Velcro on the ends to attach in the back. Then cut out two circles (one larger than the other) from the same yellow felt. Glue one on top of the other, then glue to the front of the belt for the buckle.
- Lastly, you’ll need the Super Why logo for the front of the shirt. Use a printable to make this or just draw the design with markers on paper. Cut the design out, cover in packing tape on both sides to “laminate,” then cut out around the tape and glue or tape onto the shirt!
Now all you need are a pair of green pants or tights to finish the look. Put all the pieces together and you have a SUPER-duper Super Why!