No, it’s not a typo – I really do mean Nantucket Baggs with two g’s. And they are the perfect gift for the gardener who has everything – this is one gift they’ll definitely use!
I bought my bag two years ago at the CT Flower & Garden Show. I loved the color (lime green with pink straps! – although it comes in a variety of other colors), the many shapes and sizes of pockets, the shoulder straps, and the fact that it unzips. I wasn’t sure how much I’d actually use it, but now, after two seasons of constant use, I can honestly say that I would not be caught in my garden without my Nantucket Diddy Bagg!
So let me tell you why I love this bag and why you’ll want one too –
- It has 30 pockets. While the pockets are sized to fit a wide range of tools, you can customize pocket size simply by removing stitching between pockets to create a bag with just the right pockets for what you want to carry. It even has a hidden pocket in the base (perfect for hiding cash or spare keys).
- It stands up by itself. Just put it down and it stays put (well, that’s unless you load it to the top with heavy and unwieldy stuff).
- It has long handles / carrying straps. The handles are long enough to let you sling the bag over your shoulder, even when it’s full. This means you can carry it around and still have your hands free.
- It’s really rugged. I’ve put mine through all kinds of abuse and, other than looking dirty, it hasn’t shown any signs of wear. The body is made of double-thick 600 denier poly canvas, the straps are heavy-duty webbing, and the plated grommets around the top don’t rust. According to the manufacturer it’s washable so I’ve run it through the washing machine several times and it still looks great.
- It’s convertible! This is such a neat feature. The bag unzips along the side and bottom to open out into a rectangle that can be rolled or hung up (I’ve hung mine for the winter on the peg board in my gardening shed). You can use it with the pockets on the inside or the outside. You can use it as a bag or you can convert it into a backpack. There are so many ways to use it that you’re sure to find the perfect solution for your unique needs.
- It looks great. Clients and passers-by often comment on it. It sure looks better than the 5-gallon bucket, tub, or series of bags we gardeners usually carry around!
The bags come in a variety of sizes (including the smaller Ditty Bagg) and price points and can be bought online through the Nantucket Baggs website.
For gardening purposes, the Diddy Bagg is definitely the best size. There are two options here: a cheaper version made in China (that’s the pink and lime green one shown here – the only colors available for the imported bag), and a more expensive (and higher quality, according to the manufacturer) bag made in the US that comes in a lot of color options. If you’re OK with hot pink/lime green and purchasing a product made in China, then the imported version will be just fine – it stands up to everything you can throw at it.
Nantucket Baggs also has special offers available on their website – usually in limited color options but very well-priced. Look there first if you’re interested in buying one of these terrific gardening bags.
If you’re looking for updates and reviews on gardening products, you’re in the right place! Just click here to sign up for the Gardening Products Review and we’ll send new reviews straight to your inbox.