Summer is coming to a close and it is time to celebrate! What better way than to get all set for Halloween with these fantastic and fun vintage-style party blowers!
- straws (we cut ours in half so that they were about 4 inches long)
- decorative paper (12″ by 12″); each sheet of paper yields six party blowers (Note: If you plan on doing a lot of blowing, make sure to use a thinner paper, i.e., wrapping paper.)
- clear tape
- rubber bands
- ruler (optional)
- decorative ribbon (optional)
- Start with 12 x 12 sheets of scrapbook paper in your party’s colors. Cut the paper into 2″ x 10″ strips.
- Fold the paper in thirds the long way, so that the two long sides meet in the middle, and use a long piece of tape to cover the seam completely and seal it up. You don’t want any air to escape when it comes time to blow them!
- Fold down one end of the long tube you’ve just made, about 1/4 inch or so, to close it. Fasten shut with a small piece of tape.
- Roll the strip of paper around a pencil (make sure to start with the closed end) and twist until it is all the way rolled up.
- Fasten your roll with a rubber band, slide it off the pencil (it is easiest to remove it from the sharpened side), and let sit overnight.
- Take the rubber band off and insert one end of a 4″ straw into the open end of the rolled tube of paper. You can use glue to attach the paper to the straw if you prefer a cleaner edge, but I used more tape (it can be covered with pretty ribbon later). Fold in the corners of the open end of the paper roll on either side and secure tightly to the straw.
- If you like, tie a strip of pretty ribbon over the tape to cover it and snip the edges for a clean look.
And there you have it: the perfect little craft to do with the kiddos. With all of this fun to be had and excited anticipation for Halloween, I don’t think we will be missing summer one little bit!