Cereal boxes have endless possibilities – but did you know that with every cereal box, you can make at least four different crowns for imaginative play? You can make a bunch of these yourself (think: birthday party, classroom celebration, fun afternoon craft) or your children can make them themselves or alongside you.
- a cereal box
- colorful card stock paper
- a glue stick
- high gloss acrylic paint
- a paintbrush
- a hole puncher
- Open up your cereal box and cut zig-zags or curves to form the shape for the top of your crown. Cut straight across the bottom. Crowns come in many different shapes and sizes, so have fun with the design!
- Round out the edges of the two longer rectangle flaps to form the shape of wings.
- Paint the crown with high gloss acrylic paint. This will make it look finished and shiny. Paint on the slick outside of the cardboard(the side with the writing and cereal box design) so your paint finish will be shinier. If you paint on the inside of the cereal box, the finish will be dull.
- Set the crowns aside and allow the paint to dry.
- Once the paint dries, decorate your crown! Cut geometric shapes from colorful card stock paper (or regular construction paper) and glue the shapes onto the crown.
- Punch two holes, one on each side of your crown.
- Tie a piece of yarn through each hole and then you are ready to tie the crown around your head!
That’s it! Go forth, mighty crafters, and rule your kingdom — or living room.