This was one of those accidental ideas. I intended to make homemade binoculars for our camping unit using a recycled paper towel roll, but then decided it would be cute to turn it into a Valentine’s Day craft! Whether you want to make regular binoculars or add a Valentine’s Day twist, here’s how.
- paper towel roll or two toilet paper rolls
- duct tape
- hole punch
- Cut a section of your paper towel roll off and then cut another section the exact same length. You can cut the roll in half to make longer binoculars. Using two toilet paper rolls is another option.
- Use a glue stick to secure the two rolls together, side by side. Then wrap duct tape around them to form the binoculars.
- Use the hole punch to make a hole on each side of the binoculars (the outside of each roll) and tie the end of an 18-20 inch strand of yarn through each hole. The yarn should be long enough to hang loosely around the neck of a toddler/preschooler. Kids this young should only use the binoculars when supervised, to avoid danger of choking.
- For the Valentine’s Day twist, add a label (you can buy return address mailing labels and send them through the printer!) with the text, “I’ve got my eye on you, Valentine!”
Enjoy the binoculars and all the adventures they inspire!